This is a great recipe for a very tasting dressing. The dressing is an adaptation from a Bobby Flay recipe. This yields a nice amount of dressing. I choose to toss the salads individually and save any left-over dressing. I make the croutons from scratch because I have not been able to find whole wheat croutons yet.
Romaine Salad with Citrus Ceasar Dressing
1 -2 Romaine lettuce hearts Whole Wheat croutons – recipe follows Citrus Ceasar Dressing: 1/4 cup of orange juice with the juice of 1/2 a lemon 4 cloves of roasted garlic 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon egg-free mayonnaise 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup olive oil 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the orange/lemon juice mixture, garlic, mustard, mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Add the Parmesan and pulse a few times until incorporated.
- Wash the Romaine lettuce and cut into slices.
- Place in a mixing bowl, toss with dressing, croutons and additional Parmesan cheese. Shaved or Shredded Parmesan looks really good here.
- Cut a whole wheat bagguette in squares.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toast in a 350 degree oven until crispy and golden, for about 15 min.
- While still warm, toss with parsley flakes.