Have you ever made baked plantains??? It’s the easiest thing to do when you’re hungry and in a hurry… My grandma used to tell me that a baked plantain and a glass of milk on the side were a full meal.
You can make this one of two ways:
1- On the microwave – I do not usually use the microwave for cooking because of all the radiation it emits onto the food, but I do use it on occasion when I am super duper hungry and there’s no time to wait…
2- On the toaster oven – because it’s sacrilegious, with our current electricity costs, to turn on a whole oven for one lonely plantain
This is not even a recipe… because the plantain is the ONLY ingredient… but this is important, the plantain NEEDS to be super ripe, almost black for this to work…
BAKED PLANTAIN in its SKIN
1 very ripe plantain
- Cut both ends of the plantain and make a slit on the plantain skin from top to bottom.
If doing this in the microwave oven…
- Place plantain on a paper towel and microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes, depending on how large is your oven.
- After time has elapsed, check the plantain for doneness. If you want, you can turn the plantain on its other side and microwave again on HIGH for an extra 2-3 minutes.
- Wait a few minutes for the radiation and heat to dissipate. Take out of the plantain, remove it from its skin and enjoy.
If doing this on a regular toaster oven…
- Place the cut plantain on a oven proof dish at 350° F.
- Let the plantain bake in its skin for about 20-25 minutes. The sweet smell of the sugars in the plantain will let you know when it’s done.
- Turn off the oven and let it finish cooking in the residual heat for about 10 minutes more. Take the plantain out of its skin and enjoy.
This is a great side dish for… anything, in my opinion. But if you dare try it with a glass of milk, let me know how it goes… it’s awesome!!!