Because eating more salads is one of my New Year’s resolutions… this is one of the versions I came up with. They not all have to be with only fresh vegetables, you know.
ARUGULA PASTA SALAD
¼ pound of whole wheat pasta – I used penne, but any short tubular pasta will do 1 fresh tomato, peeled and diced small 5-6 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced 5-6 fresh basil leaves, torn small or cut thinly About 3 tbs of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice 1 garlic clove, smashed ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese Salt and pepper to taste 2 handfuls of arugula leaves, washed well and dried ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, salt and pepper. Mix well together and let the mixture marinate while you set up the rest of the ingredients. While you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients, toss the mixture every so often to mix well. You can do this a bit in advance if you want to let the mixture marinate more time… that’s up to you.
- Set water to boil pasta. Boil pasta in plenty of salted water according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, wash arugula lettuce well and spin dry. Set aside.
- When pasta is ready, drain well and return to pot where you boiled it. Add the tomato mixture, removing the smashed garlic clove, and coat well. Add the parmesan cheese and toss together.
- Serve the lettuce in a salad bowl and place desired amount of pasta on top of the lettuce. The olive oil in the marinated tomatoes will be your salad dressing. Add the cucumber and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top if you’d like.