Most of you already know that to be in good health we must exercise. Running, jogging, aerobics, spinning, and even brisk walking are all great forms of exercise. I particularly like Hatha Yoga… Hatha Yoga is a psycho-physical way of exercising that works the body and the mind simultaneously. It’s a form of exercise developed thousands of years ago that has been in fashion for the last 10-15 yrs. There are many versions of yoga exercises, but the hatha yoga practiced at the yoga center I attend is designed to help your body and your mind to be quieter during meditation. Some of its benefits are:
- It’s simple
- You can do it at home
- It tones your body muscles
- It quiets the mind
- When you finish a session you finish reenergized instead of tired
- You can be in vogue by saying you also practice yoga exercises…
Personally, hatha yoga has helped me to have more balance and concentration and to have stronger will-power. Hatha yoga should be practiced about 3 times a week for optimum results, but just doing it at least once a week is a good start.
Look for a yoga studio/center near you to start practicing hatha yoga regularly. In the meantime, you need to move your skeleton… so try any or a few of these easy ways to exercise:
- Walk around your neighborhood – create a route that would take you at least 30 minutes to complete. Or you can embark on an adventure – in Puerto Rico, you can walk in the Paseo Tablado de Pinones, Paseo Lineal in Hato Rey, on the outside trails around Parque Central, etc. Or walk on a treadmill if you prefer to exercise while watching TV…
- Walk on the beach – I love to listen to the waves when I walk on the shore. It’s a real theraphy for the mind and spirit. Go to your nearest beach and walk it from one end to the next. Isla Verde beach, from one end to the other back and forth is about 3 miles in total.
- Do some exercises at home using an exercise DVD or Video – I am hooked on the P90X exercise DVDs, but the Biggest Loser series are also really good and customizable to your level.
- Ride bicycle or do spinning – I prefer doing this in a closed environment where there are no cars around me… but if you’re adventurous, you can ride on a Sunday morning on really nice routes.
- Swim in a pool or at the beach – it is low-impact and you will not feel the sweat…
Doing a combination of these will bring variety to your exercise routine… after 3 weeks of exercising regularly, your body will crave it more often… Make time for your health.