I am a pizza fan and I love to find new interesting flavors for my pizzas… When I was watching an episode of The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Pizzas, I learned about the Pizza Rosa from Pizzeria Bianco. It sounded strange and delicious too…
I have heard of Bianco before – on TV, from Martha Stewart… but Pizzeria Bianco is in Phoenix, Arizona and I have no plans to visit Phoenix anytime soon. So the only way to try the flavors of this pizza is making it myself. And the ingredients were not so foreign to me – red onions, parmeggiano reggiano cheese, rosemary and PISTACHIOS?!?!?! Yep, Arizona pistachios to be exact. Well, my pistachios would have to be from Walgreens, but I was intrigued nonetheless on how this would turn out.
My take on PIZZA ROSA from Pizzeria Bianco
1 flat bread or store-bought pizza dough round Red onions, thinly sliced using a mandoline in the thinnest setting Pistachios, shelled and ground in a food processor Pecorino romano cheese, grated Italian Cheese blend of shredded cheeses Fresh Rosemary needles, chopped finely
- Pre-heat your toaster oven to 450F.
- Place the flatbread on a cookie sheet… I use the small cookie sheet from my toaster oven.
- And top with the topping in this order – first place a small amount of the Italian cheese blend (about a small handful), then spread the onions, then the pistachios, then a light shower of the freshly grated pecorino romano cheese and finish off with a sprinkling of rosemary. My fresh rosemary has dried in the fridge so I just crumbled it with my fingers.
- Place in oven for about 5-10 minutes, until the cheese on top gets some golden brown flecks.
- Take out and wait about 1 minute for the cheese to set, slice it and enjoy.
You will make this pizza time and time again. The pistachios are an unexpected ingredient, but they work with the onions and cheese. Now I know why it was on the Best Thing I Ever Ate list…
Do you think I could have won the pizza contest with this Pizza Rosa??? I think so…