Agave Nectar

23 Jan

I learned about Agave nectar when I attended the Conscious Gourmet cooking seminar this past April.  I am sure I walked past it a million times in many health food stores, but I usually consume honey or brown sugar to sweeten things and have not had the need to use anything else…

At the seminar we discussed refined sugars and all the potential health conditions it’s associated with, such as:

Crohn’s Disease/Colitis
Even, Cancer

So based on this information, why not use and consume a more natural and non-processed form of sweetener?

Agave nectar is made from the same plant Tequila is made.  Cool, huh?  So because it’s a plant-based sweetener, it’s also vegan.  Another cool thing about agave nectar is it has a very low glycemic index.  This means that when you consume it, it will barely increase the glucose levels in your blood, therefore not increasing the production of insulin nor activating the fat storage system.  Hey, I learned this from my sister who is a diabetic from the age of 15 and an endocrinologist.

Just to give you an idea of the glycemic index of different foods:

Corn Flakes         119
White Bread       112
Rice                        83
Honey                   83
Apple                    54
Peas                      32
Agave nectar     27

Agave nectar then is great for those people who are diabetic, are watching their carbohydrate intake or blood glucose levels or even watching their weight.   You can see how my friend Kathleen lost about 45lbs. this last year and agave nectar is one of the few sweeteners she now uses.

And don’t underestimate its sweetness.   Agave nectar is sweeter than table sugar, but it’s not processed or contains any chemicals.  Actually, you should use about ¼ to 1/3 less amount of agave than you would sugar or honey.   You use it the same way you would use honey – to sweeten beverages, desserts, hot cereals, smoothies, yogurts, etc.  I even use it to sweeten my Spinach Crepes recipe.

Check out agave nectar the next time you go to your local health food store.  Try it, you’ll not be disappointed…

8 Responses to “Agave Nectar”

1. fallenangel65 January 24, 2008 at 1:22 am #

I switched from process sugar to turbinado sugar or honey a while ago. I have also used Stevia. I have seen Agave nectar and wondered about it, but was sure about the taste and how it might effect tea or coffee.

2. Dirk January 24, 2008 at 1:47 pm #

Awesome, I’ll check it out. I know I consume way too much sugar (love ketchup), but we’ve got a little one on the way this coming summer so I’d like to start using something more healthy whenever possible. Thanks!!

3. PoutMouth January 29, 2008 at 3:06 am #

I love Agave Nectar. You really cannot detect the difference between processed sugar and Agave, but that’s just me. I love its taste. A great substitute!

4. Julie May 7, 2008 at 8:56 pm #

I love agave and have been using it (and Stevia) for awhile now as a diabetic and also someone who just wants to eat far more healthfully. It’s worth the cost since it’s so low on the GI and also non-processed, sweeter than sugar and darn tasty! Trader Joe’s sells some more cheaply than most health food stores, but I do like to support my local store as they are independent and support local growers. I want to start making low fat granola with it and was browsing the ‘net for recipes and discovered your site. Glad I did, lots of great-sounding recipes (I’m vegetarian, too)!

5. Jerry August 5, 2008 at 11:12 pm #

Due to my adiction to Tequila, I discovered Agave Nectar. I buy it 2 gallons at a time (nectar, not Tequila) – Madhava is the most reasonable priced. I can’t say enough good about it! Great sugar/honey substitute, I use it for anything needing a little a little sweetening.

6. melinda September 29, 2008 at 9:05 pm #

Agave is great. I also need to make items with Agave and without wheat. Anyone know a good cookbook or recipes.

7. yummyhealthylove November 2, 2008 at 11:21 pm #

I told Francois Payard about Agave nectar on throw down with Bobby Flay. His publicist said she would see that he found out more about it. I love it and recommend it to all my clients. My brother has started putting it in his oatmeal and called me from the store this morning to find out which one he should buy.

8. Jorge N Alarcon March 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm #

Sirs: Indians from the high lands of Ecuador (Andes) have been using agave nectar (mishqui/mishky) for centuries for sweeting their foods. I use to use it in corn pancakes (uctu tortillas) when I was a child. When I came to USA in 1962, I was very surprised that Americans eat the delicious pancakes, but with a variety of some other kind of syrups. They should be eaten with “agave misqui,” a much healthy food. The Indians know an intelligent way of extracting the agave nectar without cutting the plant completely. (The plant, however, will die after producing the nectar for many weeks.)

Sirs, I would like to start using again the agave nectar or syrup. Can you help me where may a find it in the Albuquerque’s stores? Thank you.