I am a single gal who shops at Costco… you might find it hard to believe, but here in Puerto Rico some of the best produce you can find at Costco. The catch is the size of the packages, which are huge for only one person. I usually buy fresh strawberries, asparagus, grape or vine-ripened tomatoes, mesclun greens, oranges and baby spinach at Costco, among other non perishables. When I can, I share with my mom, but most often times, I find myself with the challenge of cooking the same ingredients over and over in different presentations to avoid any spoilage.
That was the case a few days back with a large batch of baby spinach and grape tomatoes. How many ways can a girl make the same two ingredients and not bore herself??
Here is an exercise in how versatile these two ingredients are…
BABY SPINACH AND POTATO PASTELÓN
2 large russet or red-skinned potatoes, washed and cubed 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, washed and dried About 10 grape or cherry tomatoes , halved – if you have regular tomatoes, they work fine too, just chop them ½ onion, chopped 1 clove of garlic, grated or finely minced 1 tbs olive oil 2 tbs butter or soy margarine 2 oz cream cheese 2 tbs Parmesan Cheese, grated or shredded Salt and Pepper to taste Canola Spray
- In a medium pot, boil the potatoes in salted water.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the filling of the pastelón. In a medium sized skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until softened. Add the tomatoes and sauté until softened. Add the baby spinach to the skillet. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and toss to combine, until it wilts.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and return to the pot to mash them with the butter/margarine, cream cheese and 1 tbs of the Parmesan. Season with some salt and pepper to taste. I like using garlic salt here…
- In a casserole dish sprayed with some canola oil spray, spread ½ of the mashed potatoes. Top with the spinach and tomato mixture. Add all the remaining potato and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese on top melts and creates a golden crust. Because all of the components are already cooked…