This is another one of my risotto recipes that starts with Archer Farms 4 cheese Risotto mix. This is more of a sweet version of risotto, because it has caramelized onions and sweet peas. It’s a different twist from the salty versions I usually make.
This was an experiment to use up some caramelized onions I had left in the fridge from my French Onion Soup and experiments with a French Onion Dip.
CARAMELIZED ONION RISOTTO
1 box of Archer Farms 4 cheese risotto mix ½ cup caramelized onions 2 oz of smoked veggie ham, cut into small pieces 3 roasted garlic cloves 2 oz of shredded gruyere cheese 1 cup of frozen sweet peas ¼ cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, prepare risotto mixture according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, in a separate skillet, brown the pieces of smoked veggie ham. Set aside.
- When the risotto is halfway done and the rice is starting to plump we can start adding more stuff to it… add the onions and the garlic and mix well. Add the gruyere cheese and mix well to melt thoroughly.
- When the rice is about to be done, add the Parmesan cheese and the peas. Turn the stove off and let the rice and sauce thicken with the remaining heat from the stove.
- After leaving the risotto stand for 15 minutes, serve sprinkling the pieces of smoked veggie ham on top.
- Drizzle with a bit of good extra virgin olive oil to garnish too.
NOTE: I added the veggie ham pieces into my rice and they went limp on me… so do as I say, not as I do and just keep them as a garnish on top. They’ll stay crispy and you’ll enjoy them better.