Guacamole Agrandado

15 Aug

We’re in avocado season… and there’s no way I can eat a whole avocado in slices in one sitting. Unless… It’s converted into guacamole!!!!!

My new thing with guacamole… eating it with BBQ potato chips instead of tortilla chips!!! These are the genius ideas one comes up in serendipity – when a natural doctor tells you to stay away from corn for a whole month.

And where does the “agrandado” comes from?? Agrandado in Spanish means “supersized”, like the combos in fast foods joints. We recently went to a Mexican restaurant and we wanted a small batch of pica de gallo and there were 2 options – regular and “agrandado”. I immediately though the agrandado version was simply… more quantity. But nooooooo… Agrandado meant it has pieces of queso fresco inside.

So for my sister’s recent visit, I decided to make my guacamole even BIGGER and BETTER with pieces of queso blanco del país inside… making it a Guacamole Agrandado!!!!

1 avocado, cut into small pieces
½ large tomato, peeled and finely diced
¼ medium onion, finely diced
The juice of 1 criollo lemon or lime
A drizzle of olive oil – about 1 tbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup of pieces of Queso Blanco del País or Mexican Queso Fresco or a mild Feta
2 tbs of fresh parsley (optional)
  1. Mix everything in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Let it stand in the fridge for a few hours so the flavors meld together.

8 Responses to “Guacamole Agrandado”

1. Coco Cooks (@glamah) August 15, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Love the addition of cheese in it. I could gobble this up.

2. The Duo Dishes August 15, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

Thanks for the Spanish lesson. There are many things to request as ‘agrandado’, including dippers like guac. Now, if it’s guaranteed to have cheese, it’s a winner.

3. Sadiepix August 16, 2011 at 12:04 am #

Oh yum. Looks wonderful.
    I am still jealous of the west coast/southern avocado harvests, as I grumbled paying $2 a piece today-
    I can’t find enough things to put the green jewels in, from a grilled cheese, to quesadillas with zucchini and tomato, to mixed with yogurt and adobo sauce as a dip for potato wedges.
    Now I want to take that above recipe and put it on top of veggie chili!

• KarmaFree Cooking August 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

i am an avocado lover too…. good luck with your vocado experiments!!!!

4. Eliana August 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

I would have never thought of adding queso to guacamole but it sounds like a super delicious idea.

• KarmaFree Cooking August 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Try it… you can use Dominican Queso de Freir… it is very similar to our Queso Blanco…

5. Bren @ Flanboyant Eats™ August 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

queso en guac!! how interesting. i’d never do that but if it floats ur boat!🙂 I can see it though. que rico queso blanco! or even manchego!

• KarmaFree Cooking August 16, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

manchego???? that’s something I have not tried. I’ll experiment and report back to you… ok???